Specific information related to the position is outlined below. To apply, click on the button above. You will be required to create an account (or sign in with an existing account). Your account will provide you access to your application information. Need Help?
Should you have a disability and need assistance with the application process, please request a reasonable accommodation by emailing BB&T Accessibility or by calling 866-362-6451. This email inbox is monitored for reasonable accommodation requests only. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Regular or Temporary:
Language Fluency: English (Required)
1st shift (United States of America)
Please review the following job description:
Manage the maintenance and custody of accounting records for assigned area of responsibility. Ensure that source data is complete and accurate. Manage the processes and procedures to record, process, summarize and report transactions in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and regulatory reporting requirements. Manage the accurate and timely preparation and submission of required management, regulatory and financial reports and filings. Monitor and maintain appropriate internal controls over financial reporting in accordance with BB&T policies and standards. Monitor assigned activities for compliance with established accounting policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
1. Conduct activities to inform, train and develop the staff members on proper General Ledger (GL) entry classification, investigation of reconciling items and line of business processes.
2. Ensure that revenues and expenses related to assigned area of responsibility are accurately reflected in BB&T’s GL and subsidiary accounting records. Apply accounting expertise to ensure that transactions comply with existing policies and standards. Ensure that appropriate documentation is maintained.
3. Maintain a working knowledge of GAAP and regulatory reporting requirements; build expertise related to assigned area of responsibility.
4. Ensure the timely and accurate filing of assigned management, regulatory and financial reports, in a manner consistent with existing policies and standards.
5. Apply judgment and accounting expertise in connection with the preparation, review and approval of adjustments to accounting records to ensure that they accurately reflect the company’s financial transactions in the proper period. Ensure that necessary supporting documentation is maintained.
6. Assist in the design, implementation and documentation of accounting and reporting process workflow and controls for assigned accounts and subsidiary accounting systems, including reconcilement and monitoring processes and controls. Update risk and control matrices for assigned area of responsibility as requested by the Financial Controls Team.
7. Review and interpret more complex contracts or agreements for proper accounting treatment, as required.
8. Perform research related to reconciling items and adjust accounting records as necessary to appropriately reflect transactions in accordance with GAAP. Investigate the root cause of reconciling items and implement process enhancements to minimize future reconciliation outages. Ensure that necessary supporting documentation is maintained.
9. Ensure that internal controls over financial reporting operate effectively. Recommend control enhancements as products, processes, GAAP, regulatory reporting requirements or corporate policies change.
10. Ensure that responses to auditor/examiner requests for information are completed timely and are complete and accurate. Assist in the development and implementation of remediation plans in a timely manner.
11. Develop, update and review policies and procedures for compliance with applicable federal, state and industry regulations and corporate policies and standards. Ensure continuous process improvement is incorporated during implementation.
12. Analyze business and accounting processes for control and efficiency improvements and assist with the implementation of redesigned processes.
13. Oversee preparation and maintenance of Data Integrity Evaluation Templates (DIETs) and User Developed Tool (UDT) templates for assigned areas of responsibility. The DIET and UDT templates represent documentation that was developed to demonstrate how the business unit has evaluated risks related to the completeness and accuracy of certain key reports, and the related internal controls that have been placed into operation to mitigate the identified risks.
14. Perform financial analysis and/or research related to special projects in assigned area of responsibility, prepare related documentation, and assist with the implementation of any related process changes or enhancements.
Required Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Bachelor's degree in Accounting, or equivalent education and related training
2. Eight years of relevant accounting experience, with increasing levels of responsibility
3. Strong interpersonal skills across organizational levels
4. Strong organizational skills
5. Strong verbal and written communications skills
6. Strong analytical, problem-solving and decision making skills
7. Ability to work independently and as a productive member of a team
8. Demonstrated leadership ability and skills, including team leadership experience
9. Specific experience and training in assigned line of business financial processing and reporting systems
10. Demonstrated proficiency in basic computer applications, such as Microsoft Office software products
11. Ability to travel, occasionally overnight
1. Master’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration
2. Professional designation, such as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
3. Five years of financial services accounting experience
4. Knowledge of product area operations and regulatory systems
5. Knowledge of or experience in project and process management
6. Experience in a technology-based, multi-project work environment
7. Specific experience and training in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint products
8. Specific experience and training with SAP and other distributed financial reporting systems and queries