Associate Business Manager II/Financial Analyst (NJA270)
Volunteers of America - Greater New York
Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
Apr 27, 2021
Volunteers of America, Inc. (VOA, Inc.) is a national, faith-based human services organization that was founded in New York City in 1896 and has remained at the forefront of social service ever since, helping individuals and families in need overcome obstacles to living safe, healthy and productive lives in the community. The largest of the affiliates, Volunteers of America-Greater New York (VOA-GNY) serves tens of thousands of men, women, and children in need every year, through 80 programs staffed by 1,300 skilled and dedicated staff, throughout New York City, Westchester County and Northern New Jersey.
VOA-GNY’s life-changing, often life-saving work impacts the lives of individuals and families who are homeless and those at risk of homelessness, families recovering from domestic violence, children with developmental delays, individuals living with HIV/AIDS or behavioral health issues, older adults and veterans struggling to reintegrate. VOA, Inc. is one of the largest providers of permanent, supportive housing in the United States. VOA-GNY is the largest provider of supportive housing for veterans in New York, and is committed to addressing the needs of the community with compassion, creativity, respect, and therapeutic models that inform our work.
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled
The Associate Business Manager II/Financial Analyst is a key member of the finance team supporting the day-to-day operations of the sector’s Business Office, furthering the finance and program administration goals of the organization. Applies sound business practices to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of the sector’s programs. Provides support and advises the Business Manager on financial and operational matters in accordance with Volunteers of America – Greater New York, Inc. policy and procedures. This position will supervise the (2) Associate Business Manager I.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance with a minimum of three years of relevant financial and operational experience, including at least one year in a supervisory capacity, or satisfactory combination of education and experience is required. Relevant experience includes similar fiscal and operational roles in a social service agency with federal and/or New Jersey state government agency contracts, or internal audit or public accounting experience, who is able to translate her/his understanding of agency funding, controls and work flow into effective and efficient fiscal operations and process improvement.
This employee will possess solid knowledge of accounting practices and principles and strong organizational and analytical skills, with the ability to prepare budgets, account analysis and reconciliations, variance analysis and financial reports. S/he will be detail-oriented and able to prioritize, plan and execute work assignments and to take initiative to ensure necessary work is handled efficiently and accurately. S/he will also have a collaborative work style and excellent interpersonal skills. Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite with especially strong Excel skills is required.
This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
1. Participate in all aspects of the sector’s budgets processes, including the annual operating budget, contract budgets and modifications and RFPs. Develop an understanding of the sector’s revenues and expenses. Maintain knowledge of cost principles.
2. Supervise the sector’s Accounts Payable and Billing team. Cross-train in Accounts Payable and Billing functions in order to serve as back-up as needed to meet billing and reporting deadlines. Monitor and report on receivable balances and oversee the resolution of arrears. Assist to effectively track and disseminate pertinent fiscal information to the sector’s programs, and serve as a resource to other agency staff regarding all budgetary and financial functions.
3. Assist in preparing contract expenditure reporting. Obtain familiarity of funder requirements and submission deadlines. Contribute to automating and streamlining processes to enhance operational efficiencies.
4. Assist with cost allocation methodologies and documentation; monitor the flow of Personnel Change Notices and ensure allocation documentation supports entries into the accounting systems. Review labor distribution and reconcile to financial statements.
5. Review invoices and monitor selected operational expenses, including overtime, to ensure costs are reasonable, allocable, allowable, and supported in compliance with policies, procedures and regulations.
6. Prepare standard journal entries for daily business transactions and month-end closing for review by the Business Manager. Analyze and reconcile various general ledger and sub-ledger transactions and account balances to ensure accurate financial reporting.
7. Prepare monthly and quarterly variance analyses of budget to actual results with comprehensive explanations and documentation. Monitor and report on flexible budget limitations.
8. Prepare and maintain accounting and related records and files, and participate in the fiscal year-end and internal audit processes. Identify and facilitate opportunities for improvement of financial processes. Develop and maintain templates to quantify and monitor fiscal and operating results, including dashboards and flexible limit worksheets. Provide monthly and ad hoc reporting as requested.
9. Participate in software implementations by providing feedback on user needs and workflows and by reviewing and testing functionality. Aid in the organization and control of Business Office’s physical and electronic documents. The sector’s financial documents are current, organized and readily accessible for internal, funder and audit requests.
10. Perform other related duties as required.
Volunteers of America offers a comprehensive benefits package to help protect
you and your family, top-notch training opportunities, and an energetic and
professional work environment.
Make a living by making a difference. Apply online today! Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled.